Allergies are abnormal reactions of the immune system that occur in response to foreign substances. Reactions to allergies may be annoying yet mild or may occur suddenly and be life-threatening.
It is a shame, but some people are highly allergic to some of the most common and most used foods out there: peanuts, eggs, wheat, soy, milk and shellfish.
To be on the safe side it is recommended that you do not introduce eggs to your children until they are at least 24 months old and nuts and fish until they are at least 36 months old.
Symptoms of food allergies can vary greatly from nausea and vomiting to diarrhoea, hives/rash, asthma attacks and swelling around areas of contact.
Who doesn’t love those cute little bees that buzz around or Mother Nature? As cute as they may be or as beautiful as Mother Nature is, they carry and move pollen.
Pollen from weeds, trees and grasses trigger seasonal allergies. To help prevent reactions stay indoors as much as possible on hot, windy days (pollen counts are the highest on these days) and close your windows. There are treatment options available as well such as immunotherapy and prescriptions.
Have you ever heard someone shout for joy when they find mould? No, because there is no reason to. Moulds produce irritants, allergens and potentially harmful and toxic substances.
Just inhaling mould can cause the same allergic reaction as if you were to touch it.
You may be suffering from allergy symptoms even though you know you are avoiding things that trigger your allergies at all cost, but what about the hidden mould in the wall or behind the dresser?
Animals can trigger allergies through a number of ways. Allergies are caused by proteins that are secreted through the animals’ oil glands and found in their skin flakes/dander.
These proteins are also found in their urine and saliva. Allergies can also occur without direct contact. One important factor to note is that these allergies can take two or more years to develop and may carry on for a few months after ending contact.
To help prevent reactions, keep your furry friend(s) out of the bedroom and rooms with carpet and don’t forget to give them a bath on a regular basis!
Do you ever wonder why some people act like such babies when a wasp comes within 5ft of them? Well, that’s because some people are severely allergic to stings.
Having an EpiPen on hand is always a good idea.
Even an unfelt sting can cause severe swelling and redness lasting up to weeks, nausea and vomiting, fatigue, fever and possibly even anaphylaxis. Definitely not a laughing matter, as these symptoms may lead to a quick drop in blood pressure, trouble breathing and a quick pulse.
Dust mites thrive on all the major allergy triggers such as pollen, dead skin cells, bacteria and fungi.
To help prevent reactions try to cover your mattresses and pillows with allergen-proof material, wash your sheets weekly (in 130⁰F water) and try to avoid dust collecting items as much as possible.